Saturday, March 21, 2009

Window Repair

There wasn't too much dry rot.

This spot on a window frame
was the only one needing a repair.

I can't explain the underline here. There is no tool for it, so how can I remove it?


All the doors and windows had broken or missing glass and in some cases, damage to the frame or panels.
The bathroom door pictured here, has 21 lites (glass panes) with quite a few missing. The original antique glass would be impossible to find. Instead of replacing it all, I poached the same glass from doors removed from the downstairs bathroom. The texture and age made it hard for a novice to cut (more than a few mishaps), but I managed to get them all in.
Much of the molding for the glass was in bad shape and the rest I destroyed taking out.
Maybe ten meters (30 feet) of new molding had to be made and cut to fit.
The prime and painting was tedious too. I hope the impact of the door makes up for all the effort.
















Next time I'll go into all the hardware restoration. Pure excitement.
C Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment